Welcome to ByteHouse!
ByteHouse is a unified data platform for ingesting both streaming and batch workloads, and it speeds up enterprise analytics with scalable computing and distributed data layer.
This document describes the new features, enhancements, and fixes introduced in releases of ByteHouse, as well as the new features that are currently in preview.
The following new features, enhancements, and changes were introduced in ByteHouse 1.0.0, which was released in July 2021.
ByteHouse 1.0.0 is the first public version and also a huge milestone for ByteHouse. In general, ByteHouse 1.0.0 delivers a new set of features focused on the following modules:
- Data Integration (Bulk and Streaming)
- Self-served Data Management
- Compute Resource Isolation
- Data Analysis (SQL Worksheet)
- Enterprise Level Security
In ByteHouse 1.0.0, you can set up a data loading job within few minutes and easily ingest data for further processing. ByteHouse 1.0.0 supports both bulk and stream data loading with various data sources, which makes it a unified platform for data analytics.
For bulk loading, ByteHouse 1.0.0 supports Local file upload , Hive and AWS S3 as data sources.
For stream loading, ByteHouse 1.0.0 supports Apache Kafka as a data source with 2 times the writing speed compared with open source Clickhouse.
During the loading process, users can see the configurations and execution logs as well as the error logs on the detailed page. Users can also see the numbers and trends of ingested records for data loading, which can be helpful to know the current ingesting status.
ByteHouse 1.0.0 provides simple-to-view management functionalities for Databases, Table and Views in both WebUI and SQL statements. Users can store loaded data in Databases and Tables with fine-grained permissions.
The dashboard allows users to quickly view statistics for both the Databases and Tables. Information such as the number of Databases/Tables, Database Size, and Number of Rows in the tables are provided at the top for easy reference. Below, individual Database and Table level statistics such as
Last Queried At and
Frequency are also provided so that Data Administrators can easily identify which resources are utilized the most.
In addition, users can also preview data, check partition statistics and workload in the Table detailed page to get more information about the configuration and status of the Table. It's also easy for users to preview and delete data by partitions straightforwardly in WebUI.
ByteHouse supports multi-level resource isolation, including tenant-level isolation by RBAC, read-write separation, and compute resource isolation.
For read-write separation, ByteHouse uses serverless services to load data from various sources, and it can be fully separated withSQLexecutions, which is supported by virtual warehouses.
A virtual warehouse, which is a cluster of compute nodes to provide required resources, such as CPU, memory, and temporary storage. Virtual Warehouse can easily scale with different sizes, from
XXL, to perform operations with enough resources. Other than that, virtual warehouses can provide compute resource isolation based on business requirements. Different business lines can use virtual warehouses to execute SQL without affecting each other.
ByteHouse also provides workload metrics of virtual warehouses, users can easily resize the virtual warehouse based on the workload status.
ByteHouse achieves enhanced SQL support by providing SQL compatibility and SQL worksheet functionalities.
By supporting 2 SQL standards, ANSI SQL 2011 and ClickHouse SQL. Users can easily use and switch it based on their preferences, which reduces code rewrites.
Besides, SQL Worksheet in ByteHouse is a powerful, feature-rich environment that allows you to execute arbitrary SQL commands and preview the result set. TheSQLWorksheet allows users to:
- Execute arbitrary SQL commands in both ANSI SQL and ClickHouse SQL mode
- Create, save, edit and share SQL worksheet files with other users.
- Preview query results and visualize data with a line or bar chart.
- Download data in the output panel to a CSV file.
- DIsplay historical SQL statements with executing time and status, etc.
- View analytical information about a SQL statement in Query profiler visualization. Users can troubleshoot SQL performance without downloading query logs.
ByteHouse is committed to the security of customers and their data. We build enterprise-level security by providing end to end features as follow:
- Authentication: ByteHouse provides Username/Password management and also Access Keys (AK/SK) support in the authentication part.
- Access Control: ByteHouse supports a comprehensive RBAC (Role-based Access Control) Model to manage your Secure Objects with different policies. Besides, it also provides granular access control with column and row-level security helps admins define and manage different scenarios.
- Network Policy: ByteHouse provides a whitelist to ensure that only granted requests can access.
- Data Encryption: ByteHouse achieves Data encryption from end to end, such as TLS support during transformation.
- Data backup: By settingTTLfor tables, ByteHouse can ensure an automatic fail-over mechanism to ensure the historical data is always safe and stable.
Want to get access to the exciting features? Sign up in just 1 minute to get 30 days free trial!
On the free trial page, sign up for a new account by filling in your basic information, Then choose your Cloud Provider and the Region.
After signing up, please check your email to activate your ByteHouse account. ByteHouse will generate a login URL to initialize the password for the account. After that, you can get started to explore the ByteHouse product! Learn more in Quick Start.